A Proper Fit Requires Proper Measuring
It’s simple. Modern clothing manufacturers don’t have to tell the truth. It’s known in the industry as “vanity sizing.” They will label trousers for your 38” waist as “Size 32” to get you to buy their brand over another. Cloth tape measures, however, don’t lie. Before you order an item of reproduction 18th century clothing from us, to ensure the best fit, you’ll need to take accurate measures. This website is here to help you get the accurate measurements you need for the garments you want.
Here are a Few Important Measuring Rules:
- You will need a flexible tape measure and, for some measurements, a willing helper.
- Measure over clothing that is comfortable but not too bulky.
- Measure your body, not a well-fitting garment from your wardrobe.
- Give us your exact measurements. Adding or subtracting inches will result in a disappointing fit.
- If you are ordering for a child, Number 4 is especially important. Talk to us about how to build “ease” into a garment for a growing child. No child wants to wear a sloppily fitting costume to his or her first event.
- If you are ordering men’s or boys’ clothing to be worn by a female, please tell us. Our men’s clothes are built with a man’s physique in mind and may not be suited to your particular body type.
THE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO KNOW
If you are ordering clothing from us for the first time: Just breathe! Ordering clothing is easy. The Customer Service staff as Townsends has over 30 years of combined experience taking custom clothing orders.
We invite you to call us (and if it’s your first time ordering, we even prefer that
you would). Just bring a cloth measuring tape and, if you can, a willing helper to the phone to get started. Be sure to let us know if you are a first-time caller, then rest easy. There is no such thing as a silly question. Ask away! That’s why we’re here!
You can reach us at 1-800-338-1665.
If you’re calling from you mobile phone, contact us at 574-594-5852.
Phone Hours: M – F, 9:00am – 5:00pm (Eastern)